Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First day of work

Yesterday was my first day at work.  I'm working at a contract research company in Groninge called Syncom.  Pharmaceutical companies (like Wyeth, Pfizer, etc) ask Syncom to make compounds for them.  Syncom is about a 1/2 hour bike ride from our place.  It's a pretty ride along a canal.  I get to see houseboats and a old water tower along the way.  I'll post some pictures later.  

The first day of work went pretty well. My new boss, Minse, introduced me to all 140 people who work at Syncom. I think I remember the names of 4 people. I also figured out how to get from my lab to the storage area, canteen, and coffee machines.  

Adjusting to work at Syncom will take some time.  I'm used to the modern pharmaceutical lab with lots of automated equipment for my personal use.  Syncom doesn't really have that. I will also have to get used to sharing a computer with 3 or 4 other people. I was pretty shocked by that.  I can't even do literature searches on my own.  I have to submit them and some one else does them.  It also seems I will have to do a lot of paperwork as well.  I will focus on learning all sorts of different chemistry and try to develop my career that way.  

The people are really nice and friendly.  Everyone speaks english, but usually for only chemistry related things.  During the breaks and lunch most everyone speaks Dutch.  I hope I can learn dutch fairly quickly.  

No comments:

Groningen

Groningen
This is where Groningen is